Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Dog or No dog?

Randy has always been completely against having a dog. Or any animal for that matter. I have pacified Meg's requested by telling her that when she is 8 years old we will talk about it. So Randy came home last week and told me that a coworker had found a stray and we had to go pick it up. I of course did not believe him. But it turned out that he really had agreed to take a little brown dachshund home. He got major Hero points for this, I love dachshunds. The only problem was that before school had ended the owner had claimed him. So now that I had gotten Randy to cave, we were really excited about a dog. We meaning me, I hadn't told the kids yet. We spent some time looking online and went to a few shelters but couldn't find another dachshund. (we both want an older dachshund)
Now that the initial excited has calmed, I am trying to decided if we really want a dog right now. Help. Pros and Cons from all you dog owners and non owners alike.

7 comments:

The Baker said...

you know me I am not an animal lover in any since. Just remember if you get one no matter what it will change the smell in your house, not that everyone with a dog has a stinky house, I'm just saying you can always tell!

Muggle Mom said...

having a dog is great, but it is like having another baby! be careful with dachshunds, especially if you get an older one. make sure they are used to kids. weenie dogs are very yappy and bark all the time! (we grew up with mini-weenies). they are sweet dogs, but i personally wouldn't own one. i like my mutt! lol!

Barlow Fam said...

I LOVE DOGS! With that said, I have always said I wouldn't have one til all my kids were potty trained. We Keep telling Cameron when we move to our new house he can have one. He's pretty excited about that, poor kid doesn't realize that that's like 2-3 years away. ; )

wackyjackie said...

Don't do it. I hate to sound mean or like an unanimal lover, but they are soooooo much work! With little kids, there are so many messes and people to take care of already. It is really really hard to find the time to take care of a dog. Granted, if you got an older one, you wouldn't have to go through the puppy phase and it may not be as bad. I'd wait until your kids are older.

Elena said...

As a dog owner for a full four months, I truly believe that I'm a pro. Just kidding. I LOVE having a dog. We did our research and found a dog that met our criteria - non-shedding, great with kids and not yappy. We found a Schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle)was the dog for us. She is a fast learner and wants to obey. If you read my post about chasing her around the neighborhood, that day I taught her to not go out the door without me and she has obeyed fairly well ever since.
Now the cons - It's not quite as tough as a baby. But, they do require a certain amount of attention. And, funny that you posted today, because Gracie just got sick and required $147 of vet care.
If you have any questions, let me know. We crate trained so it made it tons easier.
Susie's advice is good about the potty training thing. But, if this is your window of opportunity with your husband, go for it.

Lauren said...

I think I am with Jackie on this one.

Suzie said...

I have to start by saying that dogs are great but...
They make traveling anywhere so hard. You have to always make sure you have a place for them to go before you can make any plans for yourself. Unless you really plan on walking then several times a day, you have to be on constant poo controll in your backyard or just give up your backyard forever. I don't know how dachshunds are with kids but they have to be good with them because no matter what you tell your kids, they will pull on their tails and ears and anything else that they can get their hands on. So, even though the kids love charlie and she is so good with them, I definitly won't be getting another dog when she's gone. Take from that what you will. If you are REALLY a dog person then go for it. I think I have realized now that I'm not really a dog person but only a little too late.