Saturday, January 19, 2008

american girl

Meg and I are hooked. I know it is sort of a fad for these tweens. But I had a Kirsten doll when I was just a little too old for it and it was in perfect condition from lack of play. Meg received a Bitty Baby two Christmas's ago from my mother. (Who brought six of them all way back 14 years ago when my niece was a baby.They were much much cheaper then.) So- Thanks to her friend Paige, Meg got all excited over the Bitty Baby and then had it pointed out that she had an American girl doll too. It was sitting on her shelf and Paige noticed it. Now Meg has been really into American Girl dolls. They are too expensive and I haven't catered to it too much. I had found cheap knock off clothes on E-bay for her birthday. And ordered the catalog so she could dream.

Well- They are coming out with a movie and it got Meg asking about her doll's story. So we went to Barnes and Noble and bought the first book for Kirsten. I thought that it might be over her head and she would lose interest because it is a chapter book. Now let me tell you the reason for this blog. I LOVE AMERICAN GIRL DOLLS! I don't think I really understood the whole concept, or I just couldn't look past the price. We have just finished the first book and Randy brought home the next three from his library. I cried much more than I wish I had, only because I had to explain every time why I was crying. Meg loved it. Begging me to read one more chapter each time. Even willing to take a nap just to get a chapter in. I love it. I love that she is excited and that it is such a great story. We have learned a lot about immigrants and sacrifice. On her level. Still pricey but well worth it. (not the clothes or the doll that looks like you and all their accessories, but the history dolls and books) There you have it fad or not, it is my kind of fad, after all it could be the Bratz she was into. So that is it- my testimonial for American Girl Dolls. Maybe if I send it to them, they will give me a discount!!

7 comments:

Elena said...

I can't wait until this little girl I'm growing is old enough to share things like that with. Have fun.

Jen said...

I just recently realized that these dolls come with books and I love that idea. I am such a firm believer that everyone can become a reader if you find something that they will enjoy! And it sounds as if you have found Meg's niche. Can't wait for Sophie to fall in love with these girls and their stories as well!

Anonymous said...

I read all the books when they came out the first time. Samantha is my favorite. I am so excited that they are popular again. You will have to bring Meg out here and we can go to the store!!! It is AMAZING, three stories. They do the dolls hair, clean her up. You can go to lunch with them. You should really check it out. Mackenzee would LOVE going with someone.

Kim said...

Things have finally clicked with Allie and her reading and the chapter books she plows through are the American Girl books! They are great! We were remembering the Kirsten book from when I read it to her aloud when she was in kinder. You and Meg will have so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

I loved The American Girls books when I was little! I don't know if they are the same stories now or if they are new, but they were such classic stories with wonderful girls and beautiful names!

Courtney said...

I had 3 American Girl dolls when I was little and I loved the books too! Awww...the joys of being a kid! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracie,

I stopped by curious if you were still trying out digital scrapbooking. Congrats on your new baby! It sounds like we had our kids all about the same distance apart :)

Johanna Beckstead Berry