Thursday, August 21, 2008

the name game

I have been really struggling with naming this kid. I turned it over to Randy and he picked Lucas. I like Lucas. I just don't feel sure about it. I just knew with all the other kids. This one is different. It might be the miscarriage before. It might be another boy. It just might be that I am completely unable to make any sort of decision this pregnancy. (poor randy, it really has been bad) But whatever it is. I can't stick with it. We started calling him Lucas. I printed the vinyl and put it on his door and his bucket, but I still was looking and listening for something that I would fall in love with. The only other option that has come up as a serious contender is Jess. There is a little boy in Randy's class this year and I said I liked it. It turned out to be Randy's dad's middle name and his father's name. (don't ask me how I missed that) So Randy said that he actually had thought about it a few weeks ago and forgot to tell me. Now he is willing to cave on his one syllable rule because of the family history involved. I just still am not sure!!!! Jess or Lucas? I am also a little more on edge about it because I really am still a little unsure about this pregnancy. I need this baby to have a name!! So chime in here, I need to know if I am just crazy and Lucas is a great name, or what. (also is Jess to feminine- as in short for Jessica-- I thought maybe just Jes, Randy thinks that is weird) Leave me all your thoughts, I am taking all comments- even the ones that tell me I am being a little freak about this!

25 comments:

The Baker said...

i am doing the same exact thing with this baby! its driving me crazy i think i like a name and then i'm not sure! so i feel your pain. i like lucas better than jess.....but there have been like 10 lucas' born in the last year that i know, so i don't know what about Myles, i LOVE that name and we can't use it. think about it!

Jason and Shannon Ewing said...

Poor girl...I hate the name game. I always pick the name out ahead of time and then have a back up just in case it doesn't fit when they pop out. I like Lucas..but I also like Jess..darn Gilmore Girls! I would shoot for Lucas and Jess as a back up.

Tracie said...

I totally forgot about Gilmore Girls. It is just a WB thing for us now, Lucas came from One Tree Hill!!! How sad!

Tiffany said...

Brad says Lucas. I kind of like Jess, but it could be a little girlie.

Elena said...

Tracie - I so know how you feel about this pregnancy. When you go through the uncertainty of possible health problems, it seems surreal and unsure. Like you don't want to get your hopes up too high. After a miscarriage, I'm sure that feeling is even stronger. But, when that baby comes, no matter what his name is, you will feel so blessed. BTW - I like Jes with one "s". It takes a name that could go either way and makes it more masculine. But, again, whatever you pick, it'll be perfect for your little perfect baby.

Meg said...

Tracie- I feel for you on the name game. I have to say that I love Lucas! I haven't met or heard of anyone with it over in my neck of the woods and I just think its cute!

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

I like em both!! I lean towards Lucas just because I thought that is the direction you were thinking. I guess that is one way I do have it easy. The name I like floats around in my heart for long enough and I apply for a baby to match it. Poor Tracie!! I do like the one s Jes too! It sounds Texan - love that!

Carl and Starla said...

Ok, I like Jes with one "s" however, Carl likes Lucas. Am I the only one who thinks Lucas sounds like mucus? I also like the name Myles that Megan suggested.

Kristy said...

Wow! It is so difficult for a teacher to pick a name. I have never had a male Jess(-ie, -ica)!! So, to me it sounds feminine. I like Lucas and LOVE Myles, but that sounds like the name of a bar with our last name! I thought you were going to pick all boy names that ended with N! :-) We had a girl name chosen for years and when we looked at Afton we knew it didn't fit! I suggest--keep all of them in mind and then decide when you first see him! :-)

Good luck!

Sarah Romer said...

Well, personally, I love Miles. Perhaps since thats what I named my little boy. But we went with the "i" instead of "y". When we went to the hospital, we had decided Miles or Tyson, and when he was born, for some reason unknown to me, I wanted to name him Andrew! So, the little guy was un-named for about a week. I caved, and we went with Miles, and I am so glad. So, even if you decide on a name now, something might unexpectedly come to you when you see him.

I also like Lucas, and I do like Jess, but with 2 ss...because everone would spell his name wrong if there was only one.

whatever you decide, I'm sure he is going to be the cutest little thing. Good Luck!

jenreeder said...

Ugh! I hate the name decision. Thankfully I don't have to do it again. We have an Alexander, which I think is cute, but part of me still thinks that maybe we should have named him Owen. I like traditional names that sound masculine, so my vote is Lucas... so far. Shoot, I am not helping. My brother is naming his baby Beckham if it's a boy. I think their other names are yucky, Cash and Cougar! What the heck-- you put either of those with our last name "Darling" and they sound like Hooker names! Anyway-- keep looking if you're not happy yet. Have you tried looking in your family history? I like family names...

Lauren said...

Don't you love how everyone has an opinion?...but you asked for it right??? I like Lucas over Jess. We like to use family names for the middle name. Here are a few I can't get Nate to agree on, but I love them. I love the names
Jenson, Cullen, and Noah. Good Luck! What about Jesson? That is Carter's middle name. (Megan Blagg's little boy)

Emily Busath Murdock said...

What about waiting to name the little bean until you see him? Sometimes it's easier once you see that face. :)
I think you'll make the right choice, with or without my help. So I'll just offer the advice...do NOT name him Money. I met a little boy the other day from an extremely wealthy family named MONEY. Seriously, what is the deal with THAT?

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

I am impressed that you can name your babies at all before you see them. We liked Isabelle while I was pregnant, but we would never even commit at all until we met her. I love the name Miles, (with an i) but Ben is not a fan. Off subject though cause you didn't even suggest it. Um, I like Lucus quite a bit, but Jess is cute too. I actually think Jes with one s seems more masculine, but either way I think Jess is more of a boy name than girls. What about Jessie? I do think Jes sounds like it fits well with your family!

Trooly said...

I love the idea of passing on a name from a previous generation! Jess is awesome, and it's good with either one or two esses! Unfortunately some of our family names were Fred, Eldon, Doyle, and Delos, to name just a few, so I think you're lucky to have a such a decent name to choose if you want it.

If you do go a totally different way (and if Randy can tolerate a one-syllable name), I think you should think about the name, Brock. Brock Barr...sounds kind of like a super hero, doesn't it?!

Suzie said...

I felt the same way about the name Benjamin through my whole pregnancy. With Sam and Audrey I just knew. I worried that since I didn't "just know" with Ben that it wasn't right. To be honest, I'm still getting used to calling him by his name. Nothing else came to us though so I'm sure that Ben will feel right before too long. I like Lucas a lot.

Ruth said...

I like both names. If it were me, I would probably go with the family name for a middle name. I felt the same way about Logan's name. I never have liked it very much. I wish we would have called him by his middle name, Thomas. Oh well, he seems to be fine with it.

Paula said...

How about Lucas Jes Barr or Jess Lucas Barr. You could always call him LJ or JL for short. We actually know a little boy named Jess, and he is ALL BOY and is such a cute one. I also heard a cute name a few weeks ago while out of town... TATE. I thought of you when I heard it. Think about it. Good Luck!!!!

Courtney said...

I like both names but I think I like Jess more! Its such a cute name! I know a few little boys names jess and they are SOOOOOO cute and very much little boys...not girly at all!

Barlow Fam said...

Ok, my turn. I like Jes too. I also love the family link. Cameron and Lauren each share their middle name with someone and I love that link. I still curse myself for caving with Mike on Lauren's middle name. She has no family link. Lucas is a great name too, so whatever you do will be great. He's going to be so dang cute it really won't matter. : )

Kim said...

I like Jess! I don't think it is at all fem. Sounds like a Texas cowboy name! Can't you see "Sheriff Jess Barr" on a name tag? Also, family names are so important.

wackyjackie said...

I like Jes. Jes Snickers Barr
Has a nice ring to it!

Misty said...

Wow! 22 comments!!!! I can't even read all those!
I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry you are having a hard time!!! Been there!
I like Jess! I do not think it is feminine. You could use them both too. That is what we ended up doing with Carson-Carson Dean. (eric's grandpa)
Good Luck!!!!
It was so nice to see you yesterday!

Jessica Wille said...

I like both Lucas and Jess. I knew a Jess in college, and he was a very masculine Jess. I wouldn't worry about that.

Tim Kimball said...

Is Jess just in case it comes out a girl???