i hate puzzles. i tried to do a few with meg when she was 2, she didn't enjoy them and neither did i. she would get really frustrated and all worked up and i would calmly explain the concept and how to control our emotions but it just wasn't something that we were good at together. so i didn't have puzzles at our house. they would do them at nursery or school, just not at home. well, randy brought home a big bag of puzzles from work a few months back. we played with them that night and then i put them away. tyson however has taken a real liking to puzzles. grandma barr bought him one awhile back and he really loves it. so on sunday when we went to a friends for dinner, he got out all their puzzles and worked on them all. since then he hasn't stopped talking about puzzles. yesterday during quite time, i found the big bag that randy had and pulled them out for tyson. this kid was entertained the whole time and was mad when nap ended early. he worked on them again all last night and now this morning. it is terrific that he is so occupied. the best part came last night in a total mom moment. i had been telling him that he is very good at puzzles. and then i told him it is because he is such a smart little boy. so all night he is repeating "i am very good at puzzles mom!" and "you know why i am good at puzzles? because i am a very smart boy!" i love it. it actually sank in. he knows he is smart and that he is good at something. this was so nice to hear as a mom who often struggles with self esteem issues. so instead of feeling guilty over depriving my children of puzzles for the last 6 years, i am choosing to focus on that fact that my little boy feels good about himself today!
now if i could only get meg to feel the same.
6 comments:
I love it. I think as moms there is always some toy we dont like. Mine is play-doe. We dont have it in the house and if some does make it in it quickly and quietly vanishes. Isnt it a great thing when they can be proud of something they do!
Hooray!!
That is great! Brooklyn loves puzzles too, but she is more frustrated by them than some. Oh well.
I'm so with you on the puzzles thing--for me, I hate puzzles because the pieces get everywhere! And guess who gets to clean them up--ME! I think that they are great when they can be pulled out and put away by mom, that way I only bring them out when all the other toys in the house are cleaned up. For me, that just makes more sense than trying to find puzzle pieces among the mess.
Anyhoo, there are always a million things to feel guilty about, so instead, focus on the BILLION things you have to be proud of. You're a great mommy. That's why the Lord keeps sending you more! ;)haha
Zack loves puzzles too! It always is so nice when they feel good about themselves and an accomplishment!
I'm with Aimee...I can't stand Play-Doh! But I do like puzzles.
Post a Comment